John McMahon was appointed Sheriff-Coroner of San Bernardino County by the Board of Supervisors on December 31, 2012.
He is known for his tough-on-crime philosophy and a soup-to-nuts knowledge of the law enforcement strategies to keep our neighborhoods, schools, and businesses safe.
John began his career with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in 1985 as a patrol deputy at the Needles Police/Sheriff’s Station. When promoted to sergeant in November 1994, he was assigned supervisory positions in the Detentions and Corrections, Patrol, and Administrative Support Bureaus.
Covering over 20,000 square miles with over 2 million people residing within the county, John is responsible for all public safety services for the unincorporated areas, he operates the county jail system, provides marshal services in the county superior courts, and supervises 14 contract city law enforcement agreements.
John leads one of California’s largest and most diverse departments of 1716 sworn deputies, 1540 professional employees and 1844 volunteers on an annual budget of 488 million dollars.
He has an Associate of Science Degree in Criminal Justice from Victor Valley College, and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice Management from Union Institute & University. He is certified as a Jail Manager through the American Jail Association, and is a graduate of the Los Angeles Police West Point Leadership Program. John was also inducted into the Victor Valley College Alumni Hall of Fame in 2007.
John and his wife Michelle of 23 years have two daughters, Abby and Ally.
- Appointed to Sheriff-Coroner in 2012
- 28 year veteran with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
- Professional management of an annual budget exceeding $450 million
- Proven and effective leadership of over 3,150 employees and 1,800 volunteers
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice Management
- Certified Jail Manager through the American Jail Association
- Graduate of the LAPD West Point Leadership Program
- Inducted into the Victor Valley College Alumni Hall of Fame in 2007
- Well respected for his impeccable character
- Has earned the endorsement and full support of all five County Supervisors
- Endorsed by Police Chiefs in San Bernardino County
- Has built trusted relationships with business leaders and community members
- Enjoys overwhelming support of the men and women who work and volunteer for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
- Leadership - Develop strong and effective leaders at all levels of the Sheriff's Department
- Quality Service - Train and hold employees accountable to the highest standards of skill and proficiency
- Public Safety - Maintain a strong focus on strategies that insure San Bernardino County remains a safe place for our families to live, work, and play
- Fiscal Responsibility - Continuous pursuit of innovative advancements that insure progressive law enforcement service and efficient operations
- Community Relationships - Expect all employees to develop interactive relationships with members of the community and respect their constitutional rights
- Crime Reduction - Reduce crime through prevention, apprehension, successful prosecution and innovative alternatives to incarceration
A proven defender of the Second Amendment and your right to bear arms.
- Sheriff John McMahon is a life member of the NRA.
- In his first year as Sheriff, he has issued more than three times as many new CCW permits as the previous administration.
- Sheriff John McMahon believes that every law abiding citizen of good character who wants a CCW (concealed weapons permit) should have one.
- Sheriff McMahon believes the purpose of the United States Constitution is to limit the power of government.
- Under Sheriff John McMahon's leadership, deputies from the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department will not confiscate firearms from lawful gun owners.
- Sheriff McMahon believes in the right to self defense - an essential component of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
- Sheriff McMahon believes that we need to enforce existing gun laws, not pass more restrictions on lawful gun owners.
- Sheriff McMahon believes responsible gun ownership is a right and cherished tradition in this great county and deserves to be protected and encouraged.
Dear Citizen: We need your help!
- We need your help electing a Sheriff who is committed to protecting your gun ownership rights.
- We need your help electing a Sheriff who is an outspoken supporter of each law abiding citizen's right to bear arms.
- We need your help electing a Sheriff who will respect and protect your right to self defense.
- We need your help electing a Sheriff who understands the Second Amendment and will take a stand against any efforts to disarm our citizens.
- We need your help electing Sheriff-Coroner John McMahon in 2014.
Please join us in supporting a trusted leader who has the experience, vision and integrity to meet the tough challenges ahead.Sheriff John McMahon is that man. He has served the citizens of this County well for the past 28 years and now, he needs your help!!!